(a) Suppose that you have chosen to sample on a monthly basis.
(b) Before a new month starts, you should communicate with the driver of each sampled vanpool about the days on which he must collect sample data during the new month.
(c) For each sampled vanpool day, the driver should fill in the identification data before he leaves home, including the date, the day of week, and the vanpool number.
(d) The driver is required to record the travel data, including the van odometer reading whenever any rider gets on or off the van along with the number of riders who get on the van and the number of riders who get off the van. This recording is to be done separately for travel to work and travel from work. The filled-out form in Appendix 94 shows the travel data for a vanpool of 6 riders with a round-trip-distance of 78 miles. The driver picks up all 5 riders at a single location but drops them off at three different locations in the morning. In the afternoon, the process reverses itself.
(1) Once the driver gets on the van in the morning, he should enter 1 in the ON column (6) and record the odometer reading at 29,366.0 in column (8).
(2) He then leaves for picking-up 5 fellow vanpoolers at another location. Once they get on the van, he should enter 5 in (6), and record the odometer reading at 369.1 in (8) before departing that location.
(3) At the first drop-off location, 3 vanpoolers get off. Before leaving, the driver should enter 3 in the OFF column (7), and record the odometer reading at 395.3 in (8).
(4) One vanpooler gets of the van at each of the next two drop-off locations. Before leaving these locations, the driver should enter 1 in the OFF column, and record the odometer reading at 396.8 and 397.5, respectively.
(5) Finally, the driver arrives at his own destination. Before he leaves the van, he should record the odometer reading again at 405.0.
(e) The day after each sample day, you should communicate with each driver involved in collecting sample data to determine if he actually recorded the sample data. Sample data may be not recorded for a variety of reasons.
(1) If the data were collected, the driver should send the filled-out survey sheet immediately,
(2) If the driver forgot to collect the data, he should be asked to collect the data next day,
(3) If the driver refused to collect the data or the vanpool has been terminated, a replacement vanpool day should be selected at random.